Monday, November 16, 2009

Soshel MEdia


I hate the idea behind social media ever since seeing 15 year olds on myspace take risque pictures and race to the "top" for friends. When I started to see that these people were actually human, I began running rampant and preparing for some sort of mindless zombie attack caused by Myspace. That's not too far off, is it? I'm sure it'll be here any day now... any day now...

But, I've had a facebook for a while. Only confirming people I know/have met and talked to, people I work with and actual friends from high school. It's a pretty alright gig. It doesn't make me nearly as mad to see people complaining about their days anymore or how their rich parents won't buy them the dress or whatever they want. Now it's about people I'd actually like to help out sometime, care if they got into a freak gasoline fight or an interesting combination of the two. I've befriended about two people from school on Facebook to... network... mainly because that's just entirely practical.

I talk about my work quite a bit. As said earlier, I have a ton of people from work as my buddies on Facebook. Oddly enough, we all like each other enough after the work week to care about what the other is up to. Imagine that. I figure they checked over my facebook before they gave me the promotion, as the facebook admin for our group on it is in my department. Nice guy. (If you're reading this somehow, that was a nice shirt today!)

I basically have on my facebook what I'd say or like for anyone I'd meet to know. I guess a lot of my stuff is very introspective and is more so about my beliefs without me directly stating them. I guess I want to have conversations with people who think along the lines of I do most of the time, but I'm never too opposed to having a conversation about something of the opposite or something I know hardly anything about.

I think professional and social have a very fine line between eachother. I guess it depends on the industry. Say you're in the industry I am, we're a tight knit industry where everyone basically knows or knows of one another. But, I guess uber corporate places like Best Buy you have to put a new face on in order to impress everybody as opposed to doing something you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment